What do you do when the snow finally falls? Create an arctic hunt preschool letter activity of course. To be honest, I had been itching to do this activity since last year especially after Jael’s arctic sensory bin was such a success. I wanted to create a sensory activity that was fun and allowed C to work on identifying his preschool letters as he refuses to even sit and do a worksheet.
I have heard so many debates lately about how to teach the letters of the alphabet and I have simply followed C’s lead and he seems to grasp the letters better when they are used in context and in groups. As a result, all of C’s preschool letter activities are done with all the letters of the alphabet as opposed to a letter of the week.
Arctic Hunt Preschool Letter Activity Supply List
Please note that affiliate links are used below for your convenience.
Here’s what you need:
You will also need:
- fork or spoon to move snow around
- plastic sheet to rest container on
- highlighter or crayon
- Arctic Letter Hunt sheet (at the end of the post)
- Arctic Blends Hunt Sheet
HOW TO PLAY
- Place all the magnetic letters at the base of the container and add the snow.
- Place the plastic sheet (think shower curtain liner) on the floor and place the container on it.
- Give your preschooler the spoon or fork or even a beach shovel toy, to dig for the letters.
- Once a letter is found, simply allow your child to find the corresponding letter on the sheet and color it.
EXTENDED ARCTIC HUNT PLAY
Jael also wanted to get in on the fun and she is beyond learning her letters so I also created her own little game. She also had to search in the tub to find the letters for each blend on her sheet.
The instructions are the same as above except you simply have your kindergartner find the letters of blends such as ‘sh’ and ‘bl’. This is why I chose to use letter tiles for her and magnetic letters for my son.
[cta href=”http://funlearningideas.com/product/arctic-hunt-worksheets/”]Get Printable![/cta]
Check out these other Arctic Tundra Activities
- Arctic Animal Sensory Writing Tray by Fun-A-Day
- Home-made Books: Tundra by Powerful Mothering
- Why Are Polar Bears White? | Animal Adaptations on the Arctic Tundra by Raising Lifelong Learners
- Tundra Animal Sharing and Halving by Rainy Day Mum
- Arctic Edition, Mother May I Gross Motor Game by Tiny Tots Adventures
- Arctic Animal Matching Games by Life Over C’s
- Arctic Animals Preschool Science: Blubber and Ice Explorations! By The Preschool Toolbox Blog
- Science Fun-Learning About the Woolly Bear Caterpillar by Capri + 3
- Arctic Preschool Letter Hunt by Learning 2 Walk
- Polar Bear Sound Activity by Growing Book by Book
- Arctic Animals Writing Prompts by The Educators’ Spin On It