Welcome back to another week of #PlayfulPreschool. This week’s theme is BOOK CELEBRATION and just in case you missed last week’s theme was POND and J did a Jello Pond Dive sight word game. My daugther loves playdough (I am not sure I know of any preschooler who doesn’t) and so this week’s lesson is designed around that love. Let’s walk.
Today we are celebrating all things book and why not learn about the parts of a book with a fun, hands on activity? J, my preschool daughter, could identify the pages of a book and so I wanted to increase her knowledge in this area while allowing her to have some fun.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS BOOK ACTIVITY
Please note that affiliate links are used below.
- parts of a book playdough mat (at the end of the post)
- protective sheet
- excited preschooler
- a regular book to demonstrate the concepts being taught
1) Print your parts of a book playdough mat and slip each page into a protective sheet. If you have a laminator handy, then laminate 2 pages (back side touching) to be frugal. I tend to slip 2 pages into every 1 protective sheet in order to conserve.
2) Take a regular book (I would try their favourite book in our case it is still Mr Brown Can Moo) and show your preschooler the front cover; back cover; spine; pages; title; illustration and author.
4) Point out the part of the book being focused on. This is shown at the bottom of each mat in lower case.
5) Once your preschooler knows what part they are to identify, allow them to fill in the area with the playdough of their choice.
[cta href=”http://learning2walk.com/product/parts-book-play-dough-mats/”]Get Printable![/cta]
Don’t forget to check out the other Celebrate Books posts below.